A GIFT OF NATURE IN THE
CENTER OF SOUTH AMERICA
CHAPADA DOS GUIMARÃES, located on the far western sector of the Guarani Aquifer
, is a haven of beauty in the Brazilian savanna
, a popular ecotourism destination in all the world, with caves
and crystalline rivers
, perfect rapids for canoeing
trails, beautiful lookouts
, varied fauna
with special attractions for birdwatching
The waters are born in the paths along the valleys and ravines carved by nature, along hundreds of millions of years, where once was the bottom of a sea in the center of the ancient Gondwana continent, or else come down from the tableland forming waterfalls since the top of the sandstone walls reaching 300m, flowing into the Paraguay River Basin to feed the life of the Pantanal.
, along with the gold mining in Cuiaba
, began in 1720
. A Jesuit Reduction
was created in 1751
by the priest Estevão de Castro. Ended the Jesuit presence in 1759, the settlement became a village 20 years later, with the construction of Santana's Church
, one of the oldest of Mato Grosso and registered by the Brazilian Institute of Historical Patrimony. The current area of the municipality is 6,249 square kilometers (with 2,518km2 of Environmental Protection Area
) and it has a population of 17,799 inhabitants (2010 census).
The Chapada dos Guimarães National Park (PNCG), with an area of 32,630 hectares, was created on April 12, 1989 to preserve the Cerrado biome's ecosystems, as savanna, hillside and gallery forests, numerous archaeological sites, historical monuments and also headwaters of several rivers, in an impressive setting that excites the eyes and hearts of those who are fond to outdoors.
HOTELS, POUSADAS & LODGES
RESTAURANTS & MORE